Summer is right around the corner and with the weather getting warmer it is great to get outside! That being said, we are still in a Global Pandemic and it is important to keep yourself and your family safe during these unprecedented times.
There are many things you can do while maintaining social distancing. We have compiled a list here of our top 5 summer activities to do by yourself or with your family this summer.
1. Gardening: Starting a garden is a wonderful way to celebrate summer by growing delicious veggies for you and your family to enjoy. If you are tight on space, a garden box or planter on a deck or patio is a great way to garden in less space. Tomatoes, peppers and greens, like lettuce and Swiss chard, grow very well in smaller spaces like pots and planters.
Alternatively, flowers or other green plants are a beautiful and low maintenance way to brighten up any outdoor space.
2. Exercise Outdoors: Going for a walk or bike ride around your neighbourhood with your family members is a great way to get some exercise. Being outside makes it much easier to maintain a 6-foot distance between yourself and others.
Playing other yard games like bean bag toss or soccer need more space but can be done at the park or in an open field if you are low on space.
3. Backyard Camping: Campgrounds are operating at a limited capacity and many without any services. Pitch a tent in your own backyard for a fun and safe alternative to going to a campground. This will give you and the kids a similar experience of sleeping out in the great outdoors. S’mores can be made over a fire pit in the backyard or even in your oven or BBQ. Experience all of the joys of camping without having to use outhouse!
If you don’t have enough yard space for a tent, a great alternative is building a fort in your living room with pillows and sheets.
4. Water Activities: A small pool in your yard is a great way to beat the heat! Children’s pools don’t take up very much space and warm up quickly sitting in the sun all day.
You can also create a homemade slip and slide by using a tarp, some dish soap, and a garden hose for a fun backyard activity.
5. Going for ice cream: Many places are open for take out or delivery. Going to a drive through for an ice cream treat on a warm day is a fun activity to get yourself and your family out of the house.
At this time, there are still a lot of restrictions with regards to activities. These are some really simple activities you’re able to do around your house with your family members. We can come together to make it through this by staying apart until it is safe to be together.
Bonus Idea: Create a backyard drive in movie theatre using a white sheet on a fence as a projector screen, a small projector and your laptop or smart phone to stream a movie. Additional speakers will help with sound, but computer speakers or a Bluetooth speaker could easily be used. Lawn chairs or even just sleeping bags on the ground can be used for seats and voila! Easy backyard movie theatre.