Live Green in Every Room in Your Home
Living green, building green and surrounding yourself with earth-friendly products minimizes the negative impact you have on the natural world. By abiding by green principles, not only are you keeping your family from getting sick, you are also looking out for Mother Nature’s limited resources.
Here are some earth-friendly tips for your home:
- Use recycled, chlorine-free toilet paper, facial tissues and petrochemical-free cosmetics.
- Use baking soda, vinegar and tea tree oil to disinfect your bathroom as opposed to traditional cleaning products made with harsh chemicals.
- Line dry your clothes instead of drying them in the dryer.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and only turn it back on to rinse.
- Install natural linoleum, cork, ceramic tile or recycled rubber instead of vinyl flooring.
- Keep your heat low. For every two degrees that you turn your thermostat below 21, you can save 145 kilograms of greenhouse gases (natural gas heat) or 107 kilograms of electric heat.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) throughout your house to significantly reduce your electricity bill and the amount of energy used.
- Increase insulation in your attic, walls and flooring.
Growing native plants in your garden is much friendlier on the environment since they have evolved to survive in the climate in which you live. These plants do not need much help to grow and require less than half the amount of water to survive as compared to non-native plants.