Wondering about your options when it comes time to cancel the registration on your vehicle, trailer, etc? We all like options and you have a few! Our Motor License Issuing team here at Cornerstone Insurance is here to help!
1. Come See us in Person:
If you are able, come visit us at any of our 3 issuing locations- we’d love to see you! While you are in office we will have to ask you the reason for cancellation and whether or not you were returning the plate. If you are not returning the plate, we need to know the disposition of the plate (for example: lost, damaged, stolen, retained for reuse, etc.). Lastly, we require your signature to complete the cancellation. You will be provided with your cancellation receipt to show that it has been completed.
Here are our offices for Motor License Issuing:
- Prince Albert: 1 – 598 15th St E
- Christopher Lake: 311 Main St W
- Birch Hills: 4 – 2nd St
For hours of operation please click here.
2. Access your MySGI Account:
If you have MySGI set up through your email and customer number, you would be able to cancel your vehicle online. Once you are logged into your MySGI account, you can select the drop down section entitled “Vehicles” and underneath the subsection entitled “Transactions” you may click on the portion titled “Cancel a vehicle” to proceed with cancelling your registration.
If you do not have a MYSGI account, but would like one, feel free to give our office a call so we can add an email to your SGI file. Once that email is added to your SGI file, an activation code would be sent to the email you provide for us. That activation code in conjunction with your customer number will allow you to get set up with MySGI.
3. Submit a Signed Cancellation Form:
If you are not able to make it into the office and do not wish to use the MySGI online services, you can provide a signed cancellation form to have the cancellation completed. We can send you the form by fax, email or through e-sign. Once we receive the complete form, we will process the cancellation on the date and time you set for us to cancel it on (cannot be backdated and must be during regular business hours).
The cancellation form requires the following information:
- Personal information such as your name, customer number, address, cell phone number/any number best to reach you at, etc.
- Vehicle information (Plate number, model year, color, and make/model).
- Cancellation details including the reason, plate disposition, and if you are wanting any applicable credit/refund left on your account or sent in the mail by cheque.
- Your signature.
There are additional details to consider when cancelling your registration:
- Cancellations cannot be done over the phone, as we require a signature to complete the transaction.
- Cancellations of plates can only be done as a first party transaction. Your spouse, friend, family member, or any other person would not be able to sign for the cancellation of your plates. As such, you would not be able to cancel the registration held in someone else’s name either.
- If you have a package policy on your vehicle, you will want to be sure to discuss any changes with your broker so they can make any necessary changes to your policy and advise of any changes in coverage due to the plate cancellation.
- If you do not have a package policy on your vehicle; you may wish to purchase one if you are cancelling the plates, but have not sold the vehicle.
If you have any more questions or require assistance, please contact our office at 1-888-763-8635 or send our team an email at email@example.com . We look forward to hearing from you!