To upgrade your Class 5 driver’s licence to any commercial class of licence, here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Have the Commercial Driver’s Licence Medical Report form completed by a physician and then submit it to SGI’s Medical Review Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once your medical is approved, you can visit an SGI exam office to complete the vision test and written exams for the class of licence you’d like to be endorsed for. If you’re upgrading to a Class 1 licence you will also have to complete Mandatory Entry Level Training (MELT).
- After passing the written exams, visit a motor licence issuer to have your Class 5 validated with a Professional Learner’s endorsement for the class of vehicle you’ll be testing for.
- With your Professional Learner’s endorsement you can begin practicing for your road test by driving with someone who holds and has held a valid licence for that class of vehicle for 365 days within the last three years.
- Schedule your road test by contacting a driver exam office.
- After you’ve passed your road test, visit a licence issuer to have to your Class 5 upgraded to the appropriate commercial class licence.
Testing for your licence
For all commercial driver’s licences you need to pass these tests:
You have to do a trip inspection to show your vehicle safety knowledge and check the equipment’s operation and condition. You’re responsible to point out and name the item or equipment inspected without any help. Both this and the road test are done in a vehicle that you provide (someone licensed to drive that vehicle class can drive it there for you or you can come with a supervising driver).
- Passing grade: 3 or fewer demerits
- Cost: $55
- pay for your test at a motor licence issuer and call 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744) to book, or
- call 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744) to book and pay by credit card
Tests are held at driver exam offices (not all locations).
If you have any questions about upgrading to a commercial licence, reach out to us at 1-888-763-8635 or by email at email@example.com. Our Motor Licensing Team is here to help!